AUGUSTA, GA. – Georgia Regents University recognized distinguished faculty on March 19 at the GRU University Senate Faculty Recognition Ceremony. Dr. Paulette Harris, Cree-Walker Professor of Education in the Department of Educational Leadership, Counseling, and Special Education, received the Outstanding Faculty Award for the College of Education.
As the Cree Walker Endowed Chair, Harris truly exemplifies the highest professionalism in her teaching, scholarship, and service. She serves as program coordinator for the M.Ed. in Teacher Leadership, the gifted education endorsement and the teacher support specialist endorsement. She teaches core coursework in these programs as well as in Educational Leadership. As Director of the Georgia Regents University Literacy Center, Harris leads literacy services for over 1,000 individuals each month. Under her guidance, the Literacy Center receives in excess of $100,000 annually in grants and donations.
Currently, she is leading an initiative to have the Literacy Center recognized as a model site for the National Reading Styles Institute. Her manuscript, Family Literacy: Proven Practices, has been accepted for publication by Stipes Publishing. Each year, Harris can be seen actively involved with departmental, college and university committees. As a mentor to young faculty, she shares her experience and offers opportunities for collaboration in scholarship and research. A tireless and passionate educator, she is an inspiration to all who know her.
The full list of Outstanding Faculty Award winners follows below. See a slideshow of the winners at the bottom of the page:
- College of Allied Health Sciences – Miriam Cortez-Cooper, PT, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Physical Therapy
- Pamplin College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences – Pamela Hayward, Ph.D., Professor, Communications
- James M. Hull College of Business – Todd. A. Schultz, Ph.D., Professor & Director, Computer & Information Sciences
- College of Dental Medicine – Solon Kao, D.D.S, Associate Professor, Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- College of Education – Paulette Harris, Ed.D., Cree-Walker Professor, Department of Counselor Education, Leadership & Research
- The Graduate School – Lawrence Layman, M.D., Professor & Chief of Reproductive Endocrinology, Infertility, & Genetics.
- University Libraries – Julie Gaines, M.LIS, Associate Professor and Head, Department of GRU/UGA Medical Partnership Campus Library
- College of Nursing – Stephanie Wright, M.S.N, Associate Professor,Department of Physiological & Technological Nursing.
- College of Science and Mathematics – Trinanjan Datta, Ph.D, Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry & Physics.
- Medical College of Georgia – Walter Moore, MD, MACP, Senior Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education & VA Affairs and Professor of Rheumatology & Adult Allergy.