AUGUSTA, GA – The GRU College of Education will offer its popular Response-to-Intervention Workshop on Dec. 1, with presentations from local and state educators.
This fifth workshop in the series is particularly focused on English language learners, but will also include transferable training for any general or inclusive classroom.
Dr. Nai-Cheng Kuo, Professor of Education at the GRU College of Education, says that the demand for educators trained in RTI is expected to continue to expand over the next 10 years. Based on multiple assessment data, special education teachers utilize tailored instructional methods to assist diverse students with different physical, emotional, behavioral, and cognitive needs. Accommodation and modification are incorporated to accelerate students’ learning.
“Ensuring that all students can succeed with caring, love, respect and evidence-based practices is critical. So we work closely with our partner schools to hold professional development workshops every semester,” Kuo said.
The RTI Workshop is free and open to the public on Monday, Dec. 1, from 5:30-7:30 p.m., in the JSAC Ballroom on the Summerville campus. Registration is required and limited to 200 participants. Last year, registration for the free community workshop filled up for both sessions.
A certificate will be provided to those who complete the 2-hour workshop. PLU credits are included.
- 5:30-5:35 p.m. – Welcome, from Dr. Zach Kelehear, Dean of the College of Education
- 5:35-5:40 p.m. – Dr. Judy Carter, Chair of the Department of Teacher Education
- 5:40-6 p.m. – Implementing RTI for ELLs, Drs. Nai-Cheng Kuo and Stacie Pettit, Georgia Regents University, soon to be Augusta University
- 6-6:30 p.m. – RTI for ELLs in the Columbia County School System, Dr. Deborah Brooks Williams, Assistant Superintendent of Student Learning
- 6:30-6:40 p.m. – Break
- 6:40-7:05 p.m. – Examples of RTI for ELLs in Elementary Schools, Ms. Carolyn Davis, Grovetown Elementary School
- 7:05-7:30 p.m. – Examples of RTI for ELLs in Middle and High Schools, Essie Febus-Thompson, Lakeside Middle and High School
For more information on the RTI Workshop, contact Dr. Nai-Cheng Kuo at 706-667-4776 or firstname.lastname@example.org.